Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Week Ten - Content Curation


I must admit, the concept of content curation is one I was unfamiliar with prior to our class discussion last Thursday.  I now understand content curation to be the process by which content generated on social media websites is placed together based on the subject matter of said content.  For example, tonight’s election is going to generate millions of tweets and Facebook posts, among other things.  The organization of this particular content into one specific location is how content curation works.

After learning about the concept of content curation, I now understand what Storify is meant to do and why it is such a useful tool for us to use to present our live tweets.  Storify allows tweets to be organized around a specific subject determined by the creator of that particular Storify entry.  In our case, we will be using the content curation tool to group all of our live tweets, along with those tweets that interacted with us during our live tweeting session, into one “story.”  Now that I know the idea behind Storify, I must admit I am more excited to use it than I was before.  It will be neat to see all of my tweets about a specific topic neatly organized, as well as those tweets that interacted with me.

This project will be my first interaction with content curation.  I had certainly seen groups of tweets that revolved around the same subject posted together, but I did not think of it as a form of curation until now.  I really find the concept very interesting because I think it speaks to where we are now as a society in that each individual on social media creates their own content, and we connect with one another based on our shared interests.  The fact that this concept grew out of the content that we are responsible for is very cool in my opinion.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, your last paragraph is especially interesting -- it seems to me that this idea of content curation is connected to the idea of "Web 3.0" which is supposed to be a semantic Internet. I.e. I think the material online will start to get even more organized through curators, and that's the next evolution of the web.

    ReplyDelete